I will warn you it takes a little bit of time to make these. It took me about an hour to prep these, and then they cook for another 15ish minutes. After you cut the zucchini you let it drain for an hour alone, so consider this before you want these for a quick appetizer. It's not hard...just a little time consuming.
But here it is...sooo good.
Baked Zucchini with Sweet Onion Dip
1-3 medium sized zucchini (depends on how much you want. Other ingredients won't change much.)
1 tbsp. salt
1 cup Panko or bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp. pizza seasoning or italian herbs
2 large eggs
Sweet Onion Dip
1 tbsp. butter
1 medium onion
2 tbsp. cider vinegar
2 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. prepared mustard
1 cup mayo
1. Cut each zucchini into 3" sticks about the diameter of your finger.
2. Put the zucchini sticks in a colander over a bowl and sprinkle with the salt. Let them drain for about an hour.(I forgot to use the bowl, but mine still worked)
3. While the zucchini are draining start working on the dip. Melt butter in a medium-sized frying pan over moderate heat, and add 1 medium onion sliced. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onion softens, and then caramelizes. When the onions are medium-brown remove them from the heat. Put the onions, cider vinegar, honey, and prepared mustard into a food processor and process until fairly smooth. (I don't have a food processor, so I used my hand blender. It took a little longer, but it worked.) Remove from processor and stir in the mayo.
3. Rinse the zucchini to get rid of any excess salt. Then, pat them dry.
4. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. (I didn't have parchment paper so, I didn't use any. I just sprayed the baking sheet.)
5. Combine the Panko, parmesan, and pizza seasoning or italian herbs and mix until combined.
6. Beat the eggs in order to make your egg wash.
7. Dip your zucchini sticks into the egg wash and then roll them in the bread crumbs.
8. Place on the baking sheet and bake for about 12 minutes. Remove them from the oven and turn them over. Bake for another 12-16 minutes or until golden brown.
Then eat and enjoy!!!
Linking up for Taste of Tuesday!!